Friday, January 16, 2009

 

Other Peoples’ Emotional Baggage = OPEB



Other Peoples’ Emotional Baggage = OPEB
By Dr. InaNorma Yanez, Ch.t

What is emotional baggage? I wonder at how accepting many of us are with other peoples’ emotional baggage because we are also accepting of our own.
Sometimes we do not even realize that negative habitual behaviors are so damaging. Most especially is it damaging if we have lived a lifetime seeing it repeated by our role models and/or ourselves. Parents, relatives and close friends are very instrumental is shaping our emotional baggage. A baby is usually born an innocent and is then shaped by the many forces surrounding its new life. Additionally, if you believe in reincarnation, we bring issues from our past lives that are still unresolved.
Before we move forward on this subject, can you go back to your earliest memories and see when certain negatives began? If not, don’t stress… since eventually you will see more clearly if you choose to pursue it.

I have been counseling for many decades. Along the way it has become clear to me that I myself have allowed others to interfere with my well-being by behaving in a way that is offensive to me. As I come closer to these truths, it means I must make choices. If the interferences are fix-able and we can discuss how to positively change what is truly bugging me, I choose to continue relationships. If for some reason after trying our best, we simply cannot change, alter, or improve the negatively perceived treatment, I now bid you peace and move on. How did I come to this place of thinking? Certainly not because I am any smarter than the vast majority. Perhaps I am more disgusted and tired than I used to be when younger…. or perhaps it simply became time to say “ENOUGH ALREADY!”

Regardless of the reasons, I realize that my ability to put up with OPEB is more scanty nowadays than it used to be. This being said, there are times that we simply cannot dump others for assorted reasons. An example might be when a child is born with special needs, or the job has been down-sized and I cannot find employment while facing foreclosure. At the AHA! realization of
“I cannot get rid of this problem”… another mode of thinking has to be chosen such as, I seek professional help, and I am the one who must do some of the changing. That is where good, solid, and frequent counseling can be a blessed God-Send! There is no valid reason to suffer alone and remain stone silent with something you cannot handle on your own. Thanks for listening and I truly hope some of you awaken to more of your own truths. ;) Ruby *o*
Anonymous said...
For the life of me I could not figure out why I was putting up with so much crappy behavior from others. Instead of looking inside of myself, I just blamed them. Now I see a bit more clearly that when people are habitually having bad moods, I do not have to stick around for it. Bess in New York
I like your article because you make yourself so human. It hit home since we were downsized and we are facing foreclosure. Anon

Comments:
For the life of me I could not figure out why I was putting up with so much crappy behavior from others. Instead of looking inside of myself, I just blamed them. Now I see a bit more clearly that when people are habitually having bad moods, I do not have to stick around for it.
Bess in New York
 
I like your article because you make yourself so human. It hit home since we were downsized and we are facing foreclosure.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?