Friday, May 09, 2014

 

Are You a Caretaker?








Yes, this is Ava Gardner. I helped her when she was severely depressed and wept on my shoulder. 



Above is Julito Collazo, my Afro/Cubano rhythm teacher.  Boy did he teach me well.



Are you a caretaker?  I have been for almost all my life.  Above are a few photos of some people and animals I have nursed when they were in need of love, compassion, nurturing, and physical care....  As a very young child our strange family taught me to re-bandage my grandmother Minnie's wounds from the radical mastectomies.  To be honest, it terrified me. None of her children wanted any part of doing that medical task. This was before home health aides.  It was also me who nursed and fed my father when he had a massive coronary thrombosis.   YIKES! He was a very unpleasant man.  When MOM became gravely ill, she too was in my charge.  Uncle Abe in the first photo,  was  a medical caretaker.  He helped so many.  Funny how no one in the family ever helped him when he was dying of Mesothelioma.  Our beloved animals were nurtured from birth or from shelters.   It is a role humbly played.  This week we put our precious pet to sleep after a long illness where his human MOM, (me), nursed him until we were told it was Cancer...  When we elect this challenging role it is because we are making a choice in life.  There are no regrets now, although as a child I resented being forced to do it.  I am grateful for all the people and animals who taught me about dying.  Easy? NO, not on your life.  Big applause for people who step up to the plate when the Life-chips are down.  You "DO" have courage.  And yes, it can hurt terribly when they cross over, and/or blame you, the tired caretaker, for something you are innocent of... because they are hurting!

Blest Be. Dr. RubyNorma Yanez CH.t *o* 

Comments:
We are a throw away society these days. Good for you that you care enough to care. Blessings your way from a caretaker.
 
Surely you know that we sincere and loving caretakers are a breed apart? This blog you wrote is special. It gives me hope that my own work is appreciated. Thank you. H
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?